There are three main stages of the filmmaking business process: production, distribution and exhibition.
1. Production involves the following:
- finance: a producer seeks to find investors and financial backing for a film package;
- preproduction: includes research, planning, budgeting, hiring director and crew, casting, finding locations, scripting and storyboarding;
- production: shooting the film;
- postproduction: editing, sound design, sound editing and dubbing, special effects and graphics
2. Distribution: the distribution, marketing, advertising, promoting an classification of the film.
3. Exhibition: exposing the film to the audience, whether it is in a one-screen, multiplex, multi-screen or art-house cinema; also includes reviewing and criticism.